Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Graphics card - Radeon X900XT

LINNmaster

Hello friends,

Just out of curiosity, are gaming cards good for ProE? I thought that the Radeon X900XT (which wasn't cheap for me) would give me the best of both worlds, but it seems that I'm getting display problems with WF 2.0 where the screen planes etc becomes all skewed and distoted when you move your mouse over the graphics area to select something - even just the first datum plane. WF seems to work fine. Haven't tried WF 3.0 yet. Anyone experienced this who has foolishly purchased a fairly high end gaming card for ProE? (I like to play games too unfortunately)

Thanks,
David

Gaming cards are optimized for Direct-X graphics. CAD systems use OpenGL graphics. You need to get a graphics card that supports and is tuned for OpenGL.

Hey people,

Thanks for the comments above.

I got my graphics sorted with ProE WF2.0 yesterday with the latest driver upgrade for my card. Why didn't I think of that earlier!!! It worked a charm and now I get no problems at all :)

Hopefully no more problems now.

Cheers
David

Sounds reassuring I've posted a question here [url]http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32 827&PN=1[/url]about a Dell M2010 laptop which comes with a Radeon X1800 Mobility and your message got me a bit worried about the suitability of the card. If you are interested, I've posted a link on this discussion that gives some performance comparisons of an X1800XT to other cards, which are aimed at the CAD market. Apparently theseother cards are optimised for OpenGL andfrom the benchmarks listed on the site are generally about twice as fast as the X1800XT.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Now you've got your card working properly, I would be interested to know how it performs. You say it works a charm; what size of model are working with? Any other information about your experiences with the card would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Sam

Hi Sam,

The Radeon X1900 XT is a gaming card, and when comparing technical specifications against profession cards, I see that the gaming cards are always higher spec in terms of core speed, and graphics memory, and everything else. Pricewise, they are also cheaper in general. Performance wise in games, they destroy, but on the CAD side of things, seems sluggish.

When I first installed the card, it ran ProE WF almost OK except it had the problem in sketch mode where the cursor would hang on the screen (5 secs approx) before frreing up. It would do this repeatedly for some time, then be fine, then hang, then be fine ...

WF2.0 had more issues where you could not select the planes in the graphics window, even when just starting a new part. When a plane was highlighted, the entire graphics area would distort - making ProE WF2.0 not useable. I dont' know if the sketch problem existed in WF2.0.

I installed the new driver for my card very recently and have found that all these issues have been resolve. I do not know how well this card will handle large assemblies as I have yet to get there.

I am currently happy with it's performance.

The rest of my machine is P4 630 (3.0GHz) 1GB dual channel RAM, XT1900 XT, running 21" CRT at 1600X1200@75Hz (if I remember correctly).

Cheers
David

David,

Thanks for the information. As you can read from the post I referred to
previously, I would prefer a different card, optimised for CAD as opposed to
games but don't have the option with the Dell M2010. Hence, I'm interested in
how the Radeon X1800 Mobility (or similar) performs.

If you could post any further issues you have with the card here I'd be
grateful.

Cheers,

Sam

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back