Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Women

goosemonster

I have had the pleasure of working with three women engineers. All reasonably skilled in engineering, except for Pro-E.

They all covered 3D modelling at uni, but some some reason they just couldn't grasp Pro-E.

Is this an isolated case are are all women usless at Pro-E?????

Thats one good way to get popular with the ladies....
smiley2.gif

I've worked with a few female engineers and they were all as good as the guys with Pro/E.

AHEM !!!!
smiley7.gif

No we are not ALL bad with Proe... I am the only woman within our department, and have to train the MEN on basic modelling skills.

Some have even been using Proe for longer than me.. And yet i still find that i have to train them on some of the most basic of things.

Taz

Unfortunately there's very little "reference material" to go on. Had one female in the CAD-office but she mostly did drafting, which I don't consider a real base to judge on. When you go to CAD-meetings - ANY, be it training, fairs, product demonstrations, ... - you're always confronted with at least 90% males, which I consider a real pity, definitely chose the wrong job ...

But if it is any comfort : my male colleague in my previous life was a real CAD-disaster. What he did can't be described better than carving. All necessary modelling (not ProE) was done by boolean cutting the solid with other basic shapes, based on calculated values. Draft was a triangular slice, a hole was a cilinder been driven through (plus a cone it it needed countersinking), ... modifying a part was restarting from scratch. Still he managed to get head of department. Shows you don't have to be good, pretending can be enough ...
smiley11.gif

I have seen a case of "erasing" holes by extruding a new solid into it.

The few female CAD-jockeys I have worked with were neither better nor worse than the guys.

One thing is for sure though: male-only workplaces suck. The more even the gender distribution the better. Less bullsh*t, less posturing, nicer general behaviour by everybody all round.

Edited by: MichailS

I have had the pleasure of working with a great person that is very talented, technical, hard working, a fast learner, and yes she is a woman. Her understanding of Pro-e and our design work is just as good, or if not better than the men in our department.

I suspect Goosemonster should reconsider his statement and be a little more objective with his co-workers.
smiley17.gif
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Yeah, why should gender be a reason to evaluate skills? I find it very unethical, not to mention it could get you in a world of trouble. It's just like saying that" Him/Her are dum because the religion,race,ethnic group,country, etc. they belong to".

I'm just saying think of what your aregoing to say before you say it.

Humans tend to generalize, probably because it's making life easier. And therewill have been an evolutionary advantage in generalizing "all bears are dangerous", compared to the thinking of the - now extinct - category of human beings that went by"let's wait to see if this one is friendly". This being said, it is dangerous to live through generalizing alone. "Common knowledge" says women are not good with mechanics. (reverse) Concluding that all men are excellent at mechanics will get you into trouble. I once experienced a friend who had seen the alarm light for the oil level for over an hour and when he finally got the guts to stop at a petrol station he had no clue on where he would add the oil he bought in the shop.

Talented CAD-workers are rare. But you need to be good to conclude it. It takes me 5 minutes to walk through a feature tree and then conclude whether the author "manages to model" or is "CAD-gifted". From the outside there's no difference.

I have worked with 2 women engineers, both fine on Pro-E. Unfortunatly we had to let them go for other reasons (they where ugly).

I have recently been on a PTC course, the instructor was a woman. Early twenties, tall, dark hair and very attractive (nice bum). I can't remember what her pro-e skill where like, but I didn't really care.

Its threads like this one that make this a 2nd rate site. Its clear the author was making an attempt to stir the pot.

I am curious if nights remember anything of that training apart of the trainer - of course if all he wrote it is true

few word in addition - I assume there is no difference and no reasons the women should gain the skill in another manner the men, it all about personal talent

I have to say I had a pleasure worked with women and some were really nice chicks

besides girls have point of view from another side than men, and it happened often that it appears to be fresh ideas, better ones

generally what I think girls working with Pro\e misses is the lack of clear explaining what is the problem. It happened often that I understood what happened after I saw it on her screen. But, it works in both sides - they could not understand what I said;)))

Not sure what your trying to say there Dougr
smiley5.gif

I'd hope there are more women using this site and its resources, but its posts like this that put us off !!!

I'd like to believe that the fellow users here dont judge by gender or other differences. We live in the 21st century now guys.... Get over it !!!!!

Fishnut - I don't think this is a 2nd rate site, or that Goosemonster was stiring the pot. To me it seemed like a straight forward request for information.

Here was a guy who's only exposure to women pro-e-ers left a bad tast in his mouth. He just wanted to know if there where actualy an decent women out there.

I hope he now realises that there are, even some with nice bums.

Personaly I don't mind women, it's those bloody (insert minority here) I cant stand, we should send them all back to (insert region here).

Now, Now. Lets not get all crazy here.

Well if this was a serious post, then I'll say that we have about 25 Proe users in our company, and 1 female.If I had to list our top3 users, she'd be in that list.

because this is rant/rave I'm going to say this because its eating at me.

I called this a 2nd rate site, because I belong to the "original' user site too. I see the info and responses every day. Many of the same people are on both, but thisdoesn't seem to have 1/4 the info passed over it. Respones are immediate in the other site, and there isnever any unprofessional behaviour, probably because you can'thide behind a handle. I pretty much read here for entertainment. Idon't ever recall asking a question, I usually just respond when I can help, or feel like barking something out like now.

Hey FishNut, how do I get onto the 'original' user site?

BTW I've got no prob with Women as engineers or otherwise, I hate everyone!

SB

http://www.ptcuser.org/- the orginal mail exploder Pro/E user site.

Scoter I'm with you... my Motto at Work:

Don't take it personally that I don't like you. I don't like everyone the same, so it's not your fault.
Edited by: CaptnPea

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back