Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Mold cavity update problem

mjenkins

I am trying to update a mold cavity and it has a small surface that has a problem. The error says it has overlapping geometry, when I try to regen the ref.prt.

I am very new to the mold software and I am not sure if I am following the correct procedure. If I am I'm not sure how to correct the problem with the surface.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

hi

in my view and from my experience

i don,t think that pro-e updatesa big change in the component to the mold design

it just updates the simple changes like width or height

i alsoface same problems during updation

Take a look at you parting line, and then redefine your parting surface, and from my point of view proe does updates ver well, for example when I'm designing a family of molds that are close similar I only do one master and the Proe redefine all ofthefamily.All depends on the way you-re modelling

Could you plaese post a picture of your problem

Pablo

hi

this is bound to happen when you are using an imported geometry as your ref. part or when you have not defined accuracy settings in pro-e

for the first case, there is a lengthy solution, that is, you have to re model the ref. part in pro-e environment, to match the imported geometry, and use that as the ref. part.

you must start using "Absolute accuracy" by default. you can do this by enabling accuracy with config.pro

go to TOOLS menu and select OPTIONS, you will be provided with the config window. start typing "enable" and click the find button, you will be given a list of enableable items. choose " enable absolute accuracy" and choose "yes", apply changes and click OK

now in manufacturing window, select EDIT > SETUP > ACCURACY, by default RELATIVE accuracy is used. do not give any value to the RELATIVE accuracy, just click the middle button, and then select the ABSOLUTE option below the RELATIVE option, and use a value of 0.004. this is a very comfortable and fail safe accuracy.

doing the above changes in pro-e environment, should solve your problem. good luck to you

Hi mjenkins

Soory I didn't see this question before. I am telling you right now, without knowing what could have happend to the date. This is the general simple issue to solve.

As Bala mentioned earlier, if the mold couldn't split and if the error messages apeares, then just check and notified the red and green spots in your referance model.Double check your PS. Most of the time when you merge your PS qulits, there would be some tiny "surface"yellow color gap insted of dark purple. Go to "analysis tools" and check your PS gaps if there are any. Or open a design part and click "check surf". and see any modelling errors.

First make sure that the above problems are not the one caused. Some time you will still see your imported part or designed model which got some red color tiny modelling errors. Thatwould always bethereand it is fineespecially near the rounds.( Worst senario you can apply rounds on top of them would get rid off those marks. Unless otherwise urgent, yourhave to finish the job on time, without telling your boss thathis model is sh*t
smiley2.gif
do this way andmodified.You will be fine.)

Check your PS and make sure you have got o gaps. But still not split bringing same error message with red spots. Now it is the time for you to do some accuracy settings. As Bala said go to setup, accuracy and pick Absolute accuracy..open yourdesign part and check that accuracy first. Noted down.Open your Pro mould ass and check your current absolute accuracy. Was it same?. if the answer is No. Set the pro mould absolute accuracy the same as with design model accuracy by picking "use the design model accuracy" options.This waymake sure that your WP, referance model all havingthe design model absolute accuracy.Regenerate the pro mould now and try to split again. Hope fully your problem has been solved. or else change the pro mould accuracy slightly by 0.01 increments( Again don't tell your boss, coz he may thing that that would change the part design
smiley36.gif
. We are talking about 0.02-0.05 range. Once stage, you will feel that you did it!!. All the best.
smiley32.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back