Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

crashes!

hellomoto

Alright, I know there are many things that can cause a crash. But just wanna get a feel for how often crashes occur. maybe if there is a trend, I can figure out what is cuasing mine to crash.

At first, I had Wildfire 2.0 M070. Crashed three times in the month. Updated to M220. Was a happy camper waiting for the update to finish. Next day, it crashes on me again.
smiley19.gif
So. The common thread in my experience is all crashes occured while working in an assembly. Evrything else is different. (different parts, different feature, different command window, etc). And the crash is not a freeze. Instead, the program just disappears. I wish it was more like a freeze, because I can take a moment to record what i was doing. When the whole thing just disappears, I blank out for a sec. Like a shock, I forgot exactly what i was doing, what files were open, how many other parts were open, etc.

I always have outlook open in the background, sometimes, firefox. I'm working on files that are stored on a network, sometimes on the local drive.

Any tips or suggestions? I know i didn't provide much info.. I really don't know more than that :( Anyone with similar crashes?
smiley18.gif

Moto

New User, WinXP, WF2.0 M220, Dell Precision 470, intel Xeon

Edited by: hellomoto

btw, do u know that the trail.txt file is actually the record of what you have done for that session?

Play back the trail.txt file is always an options but most of the time I couldn't get thru all step..

How much memory in your computer?

How large are the assembly files, # of components, prismatic shapes or complex surfaces, etc?

Use Task Manager and see if you are running out of application work space. Xtop.exe, the Pro/E executable, will disappear if the memory used exceeds 1.42GB.

Check your antiviris software, this sound very familer to me. We use Norton's antiviris here and it has a problem with the xstop.exec when it is running in the background. Symtomsare freezing, 2-3 crashes per day on average. Having had several conversations with my IT people they basicaly tell me to live with it.
smiley7.gif

The only suggestion i can give is to save often and keep your latest trail files.

best of luck John

This won't solve the problem but it will you feel better. LOL
smiley4.gif

View attachment 2808

Thx for all the responses. My workstation has 1G ram. I will monitor my memory usage. ... why does the program crap out at 1.42G?...

The files that I work on aren't complex. Simple geometries, no surfaces or complex splines. Mainly protrusions and rounds.

As for trail files, I see the files with explorer, but not with ProE. Wierd. I'll figure this one out later. Again, thanks for sharing. I think I have two options... monitor my ram and just save often; cuz the IT nazi won't let me change anthing in the workstation.

Moto

you must rename the trail.txt.36 (versioned file) to some thing else.. example abc.txt

then you can see it in proe (play trail or training file).

Windows applications, even though they are 32bit, are limited to 2GB of address space per process. Why it is 1.42, that is just an approximation, but it is something less than 1.5GB. With 1GB of memory, you could be running out of ram at a lower value. With 3GB of ram, you can use the /3GB /Userva-2900 switches in the boot.ini file and get about 1.8-1.9 of the 2GB process limit before crashing.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back