Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Ejector Pin Cut

Zaki

Hi all

As Tesla77 ask me about ejector pin cut. Actually Im using EMX for all these jobs, and in EMX, I made datum points where I need to put ejector pin. When I define ejector pins as this way, all pins become automatically with cut and I didnt make any cut as I remember. U can also achive this if u r using EMX. Other wise it will create by some other type like activate the ejector pin and copy punch or ref part surface in it, then make quilt cut (solidify).

The surface cut option is not for putting the holes in the mold plates, it's for trimming the end of the pin to the ref-part. All ejector pin holes are put in with UDF's in the part mode. With catalog components you can add a quilt for cutting the shape into the plates.

see pictures.

View attachment 2801

View attachment 2802

It's fine to use EMX. But I don't have that and would like to know the best steps to create ejector pin clearance holes through all mold plates and inserts using WF 2.0 with the mold design tools. I made datum points on my ref part for locations and than used the ejector pin cut tool for my ejector pin holes, clearance and c,bore for the heads. Than I assembeled my ejector pins. But I don't know the proper steps using this tool.

The best way too put in ejector pin holes if you don't have EMX is too assemble in a Ejector pin start part that has a quilt around it and use the quilt to cut the holes in the mold plates in assembly mode by making the plate the active part. Do not use the ejector pin feature in mold it's not very robust. This method is faster and easier.

PM me your email address and I can send you a example of a start part.

View attachment 2803

<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I have a family table of ejector pins that have a .015 dia. clearance around certain areas in the pin. I use cutout when I cutting the pins to the plates.

Our tooling guys don't like seeing ejector pins in the tool design

FireWild, after you assemble your start parts for ejector clearance, how do get your ejector pins to show without the quilt?

You should be using layers to turn off and on the surfaces. You should also have the config option that automatically creates layers for surfaces, datum

u r doing right Tesla77, dont be confused, its it and when u need to trim ejector pin with the face/surface of ref part or punch, just activate the ejector pin, copy the surface by copy and past, then use this surface to solidify>cut(remove material). There is no other process in Pro, even I dont know.

i use ejector pins from the menu Mold component>Catalog>Ejector pins.

this i way i will have to create datum points. and within the same set of points you can assemble varying ej pins.

after assembly, under the same menu, the next options will get enabled. these are the options " Redefine, Delete Set, Trim to Geom, Clearance Cut"

the work flow is like this.

1. Mold Model>Catalog>Ej pins
1.a. create datum points on the fly, or use any existing
1.b. select the option appropriately Identical or Variable
1.c. if Variable is selected, select the points in the creation window and select the pins for such points thru the interface.
1.d. you can also preview them.

2. now the next step is to cut it to Ref.part.
2.a in the same menu "Mold Model>Catalog>Ej pins>Trim to Geom" is available to cut the ej pins to the desired length.
2.b you have 3 choices to cut the pin. 1. trim to ref, part. 2. trim to any plane. 3. trim to any quilt. and you can also select "trim from first" or "trim from last" intersections.

3. now you can create the appropriave holes and counter bores with next option under the same menu " Clearance cut"

this is the fantastic way to use ejector pins where you dont have EMX. also you can copy the ej pin catalog directory and make some modifications and use it for standard parts like, sprue bush and like parts.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back