Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

packaged components

hellomoto

i just learned that all my assemblies are packaged components. There is a finalize option to assemblies. I think I know the benefit of finalizing an assembly. However, since I haven't done it, I don't really know why I would use it.

What is the benefit of or how is finalizing an assembly used? Any suggestions for best practices?

Thx in advance,

New user, 8 months
WF 2.0 M170
WinXp

Moto

You're compoents are under-constrained - that's why they are packaged. You need to constrain their 6 degrees of freedom or at least make sure the 'Allow Assumptions' box is ticked for rotational placements when you're not really bothered about the radial position. Packaged components aren't always bad - if you have assembled parts using 'Connect' constraints with a view to running mechanism analyses then again, the parts will show up as packaged in your model tree. Always try and have 3 default datums in you assembly and use these where possible.

Phil

The most likely reason that all of your assemblies have packaged components is that you did not define the first component assembled in each assembly.
ProE will allow you to place the component and hit OK.
You should be at least defining the first component using the DEFAULT constraint.
Try going back in to one of your assemblies and clicking on EDIT DEFINITION; pick the DEFAULT constraint and check that your first component is now fully assembled.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back