Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

CAR BOOT SIMULATION

EMPROE

Hi,

I'm trying to simulate the movement of a structure similar to a car boot (fixed structure, gas-strut, cover) when closed by the operator's hand. My target is to find the load required to close the boot, given a known pressure (force) and the position of the gas-strut.

I manage to have the connections in place and to drag the cover up and down (with the gas-strut completely following the cover movements), but there's no way I can perform a real analysis on the forces operating on the system during the movements. The "Results" page, with "Graphs" etc seems useless. Even if I change the force operating inside the gas-strut from "5" to "5000000" the final "animation" is constant and unchanged. My impression is that the analysis shows only if the system has been "properly connected", but not all the forces involved.

Any idea if ProE is the right tool at all for this type of analysis?
Any suggestion for the right type of force to apply (motor, force, spring ...) and how to get the right informations after having performed the analysis?

Thanx

EM

Do you have the MDO (Mechanism Dynamics Option) module? This module is required to model the dynamics (forces) for this simulation.

Yes Matthew I have this option.

I've actually managed to apply forces, but the movements (speed, acceleration ...) don't change at all when I modify those forces. It seems that ProE shows me only that the kinematic chain is correctly connected and "can work". When I run the "Connect Assembly" check evertything is ok, but I can't go any further in terms of getting informations out of the system.

I've checked your web site, and it seems that you deal with these things every day. Can you help me out?

Thanx

EM

EM,

Send me an email with the files attached and I'll take a look. My email is firstname . lastname at cometsolutions dot com. I'll be happy to take a look.

Hi,
I would try 2 things,
1.Checking out that mass properties is o.k some times you can get a 100gr part weigh 100 ton and the forces that you think will move it don't do nothing.
2.maybe you are in a dead point of the mechanism try to move it and start the analysis when the mechanism is half way through its travel.

good luck

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back