Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

BOM Creation

Hi,

Are you using autoBOM or you are trying to create the BOM Manually(That is by creating tables and giving inputs for each and every box)???.I thought that creating BOM was very easy using Proe AutoBOM.CHECKOUT YOU ARE MISSING SOMETHING.IT IS VERY EASY.

Regards,

Deepak Bhat

Yeah, I've done that now.

But what a pain in the rear it wasto produce it in the 1st place!<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

It seems everything in Pro-e takes twice as long than in most other 'more usable' software.

I keep being told this is the Rolls Royce of solid modelers. All I know is that every day is a fight against the software.

Don't even get me started on Intralink. I didn

RANT OVER???

I thought that you were just getting started with it
smiley2.gif
.I simply dont agree with you as I have spent my 7 years in designing using proe.

There are many of us who dont know some particular command but try to manage with the round abt method so we feel that PROE is TOUGH. But there will be some easy approach for most of the things and when we come to know abt it WE CURSE ourself for not knowing that long back.

WELL if you think that you are struggling too hard on any requirement then post it in this forum.There are some quality guys who can solve your problem.

GOODLUCK

Deepak Bhat

Hi Scooter Boy,

Good to see more Rant from you.I did not mean that you have to go for a round abt method for your day to day work, What I ment was you have an easier approach for all your day to day work.Well after seeing your profile I see that you have worked on lots of software, Can you name some commands or application which you can create in a better way in other software compared with ProE.I am not supporting PTC But I am happy that I can acheive anything(Well almost, there are some things where only autocad can help me) I want from it in the stipulated time.

Fishnut:Nothing complicated in REpeat region.I agree with you completely.

Regards,

Deepak Bhat

Deepak,<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
You are a very calming influence on me.

Of the other software I

Hi Scooter Boy,

I think not only Pro/E users are protecting their software but same to the
rest.

You are right, all the software has their own plus & minus.. All I can say
is the familiarity will always influent the choice.

Midrange software is simpler and it is a good start for new MCAD user.

Pro/E is strong at its powerful and stability. Powerful - advanced features.
Not only that, CAD software doesn't end by the modeling process, PTC create the
whole PLM system to help companies over the Product development system.

Deepak,

compare to UG & CATIA, Pro/E BOM table is not complicated. But if you are
comparing to midrange software, you will find some better and easier way to
create. Personally, I also agree with Scooter boy that Pro/E BOM table is hard
to use. and..For BOM, I like how

Scooter boy is right...

BOM's in pro are lame.(note big period)

Here are my reasons. This especially holds true when you start to use parameters in you start parts, & assemblies to do things for you, (costs, manufacuring method, sourcing info, finish, material, etc..)

1. <LI>You are limited to 80 characters (have to run multiple bom formatfiles) or make a PIA mapkey to do it all (will likly die next rev, or if IT updates you).</LI>
    <LI>Exporing to Excel is a pain.</LI>
    <LI>Formatting is in non-descript code writing type BS.</LI>
    <LI>You have to tell it text or numeric (more of a parameter problem, but, still dumb)</LI>

I know a lot of this comes from the old UNIX days, I was there, but, come-on, get updated. MS software for basic office tasks is the norm, Pro sould be seamless with working with them. File names can be long now with spaces, etc... the list goes on...

Captnpea is right. In fact all responses to my original Rant have been right.
It may be something to do with familiarity of software, although I

You are right Scooter Boy. I believe most of Pro/E users know the limitation in Pro/E but they are still loving the software.

Personally, I know Pro/E limitation (a lot..), but I also know others limation too.

I used to use Inventor and Mechanica desktop too. I like Inventor's
parts library. I love Inventor's drawing too. Changing color in
Inventor is so easy.. straight to the point.. Inventor presentation
(animation) is simple and nice.. so easy compare to proe.

However, did you try Inventor in surface modeling before? Did you try
to use Inventor to model a 3000 components assembly before? Did you try
to use Inventor to create 2000 holes in Pattern? Shell in Inventor?
Rounds? mechanism? and so on..

If I need to create a small automation assembly in 200 components,
Inventor may be one of my choice. But to work on various projects as a
consultant, Inventor seems to be too simple.

Edited by: proengineertips

Regarding exporting to Excel, in WF3 you can export a BOM table to CSV.

I've earned my living from Pro E for the past 6 years (working for PTC and VARs), and I will admit that there are some areas that are lacking (e.g., the UI for modules that have yet to be upgraded to the WF interface like cabling, finally adding the ability to print to PDF). But at the same time, no other software comes close in part modeling (the aforementioned surfacing capabilities) and assemblies (large assembly management, top down design, mechanisms, animations), especially for the price.

I will alsoadmit that for the advanced functionality -- ISDX, Mechanica, Mold Design, Cabling, Manufacturing, etc. -- you pretty much have to take a training class in order to use the software correctly, or to use it and know how to solve the problems you get in. This can be costly and inconvenient, but most of us went through at least four years of college just to get to the point of being engineers.Medical doctors are required to attend x number of hours of continuing education on an annual or biannual basisin order to maintain their license. It would be nice though if users could teach themselves this functionality without instructor-led or web-based training (but that would put me out of a job
smiley7.gif
).

jabbadeus said:
Regarding exporting to Excel, in WF3 you can export a BOM table to CSV.

What is CSV? and does it mean I'm not going to get rich selling my really cool start parts and bom.fmt files I just got done creating?

It's a neutral format that Excel can read, sort of like the analog of opening an RTF in Microsoft Word. It stands for Comma Separated Values.

In WF3, you just go to Table > Save Table and there's a CSV option.

This will not impact the financial success of your start parts and BOM tables.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back