Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

needed help for making telescopic cylinde

mrvinodmn

hi,
i work in an bus body building company.we undertake many garbage compacting vehicle.so i would like to know how to use mechanism for an telescopic cylinder.
I am also interested in knowing how i could better use pro/e surfacing for making aesthetic body designs.
Waiting for an early help from u guys.
Regards
Vinod M Naik
Design Engineer

For the telescoping cylinder, start with an assembly composed of each telescoping body. Instead of assembly constraints, use slider constraints which will allow translation along the collapse / extension direction. In WF2, then go to Applications > Mechanism and define Joint Axis Settings for each slider constraint that allow each piece of the cylinder to move only within the top and bottom of other piece it sits in. Then with the Drag icon you can move the entire cylinder within its range of motion. (In WF3 you can define the joint axis settings and drag within standard Assembly mode without having to go into Mechanism.)

Your second issue is a little more involved. For aesthetic body designs using parametric surfacing, you probably want to create datum curves (with sketches and curves through points and other methods) to represent the boundary and internal curves, and then use the Boundary Blend tool to create a surface using those datum curves for the shape, and controlling the boundary conditions accordingly.

If you have a license of ISDX, you can create Style features that allow freeform surfaces in which all four boundaries can be curvature continuous (G2 continuity).

For both issues, I highly recommend you consult the built-in help to learn more about Mechanism Kinematics and Parametric Surfacing.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back