Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pro crashes just before displaying model

JohnLovell

Pro/E crashes when I try to open a very large assembly. It gets all the way through regeneration, then it shows a blank workspace for awhile (like normal), then, just before the model would normally pop into view, Pro/E crashes. This same assembly can be opened by two other machines in my office, one of which is configured (supposedly) just like mine. I have a Dell 670 with twin 3.0GHz CPUs, 4 GB RAM, NVIDIA 1400, and WinXP Pro. I've tried loading the PTC recommended drivers for the video card, no luck. Nor with the other two latest versions offered by NVIDIA. Xtop is only using about 1.5 GB when this happens. Any ideas?

Hey JohnLovell,

Hmm. That is strange. Your hardware specifications certaintly meet the ProE requirements. Are you using the 3GB switch? I only ask becuase without following the steps found in TPI#111330, you may only be able to address approx. 1.5 GB per single process (xtop.exe). ProE typically exits when you run out of memory (it exits for alot of outher reasons also). With the steps outlined in this TPI report you can use approx. 3GB per process.

If you haven't already try looking at the steps outlined in this thread:

[url]http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24 552&PN=1[/url]

dojo has posted TPI#111330.

Remember you do not need to patch using IMAGECFG starting with ProE WF 2.0, since it is already large address aware.

I don't know why you cannot open the assembly in your computer, but can on other computers. That is strange if the computers have identical hardware and are configured the same.

Hope this helps.

try setting the config option called "graphics" to win32_gdi.
if you are able to open the model then it is not a graphics issue.
what datecode are you using?
try copying all the files to a new directory then open the assembly.

I will try the 3GB switch and see if it helps. It sounds likely. :)

prouser1, I'ved tried the win32_gdi setting, it didn't help. I have datecodes M100 and M180 available, both crash about the same time. I've tried several versions of the assembly, all can be opened by one guy but noone else. I'll check Tuesday and see if he has the 3 GB switch enabled. That might be the thing.

Hi John,

Try to take your config.pro file and temporarily move it somewhere else besides your startup directory. Then start ProE and see if you still have that problem. Your config file is probably different than your coworkers and I've had some problems in the past with certain config settings causing me problems in WF2.

Take a look at your trail file. Go to the end of the file and see whats happening as shegoes down. Its like a planes"Black Box" .

The 3 GB switch took care of it. When the assembly finished opening, xtop had 2.7 GB spoken for. Thanks everyone!

JohnLovell said:
Pro/E crashes when I try to open a very large assembly. It gets all the way through regeneration, then it shows a blank workspace for awhile (like normal), then, just before the model would normally pop into view, Pro/E crashes. This same assembly can be opened by two other machines in my office, one of which is configured (supposedly) just like mine. I have a Dell 670 with twin 3.0GHz CPUs, 4 GB RAM, NVIDIA 1400, and WinXP Pro. I've tried loading the PTC recommended drivers for the video card, no luck. Nor with the other two latest versions offered by NVIDIA. Xtop is only using about 1.5 GB when this happens. Any ideas?

How big is your SWAP file? If you have 4 GB Ram, it should be at least that plus a few hundreds of MB above. I recommend 1.5x the amount, but actually really whatever you'll need given the size of your datasets. If you end up needing 10 GB to hold the data, then you need 10+ GB of Swapfile size or else it will, indeed, and predictably so, crash. Some applications might trap an error but they will, nice or not, exit, because if WIndows doesn't have virtual memory to hold it, there's only one way to go: sayonara.

Yes it does matter for performance how much Ram you can stuff into a workstation, but it is equally important to have even more Swap file space ready to roll.

<div style="visibility: ;" id="jajahYDiv">293</div><div style="visibility: ;" id="jajahXDiv">162</div>

I had plenty of swapfile. I just didn't have enough RAM allocated.

Acook - I work for Caterpillar. It was an entire genset, with engine, generator, controls and everything. Even with my system (and most of the components replaced by copied-geometry parts) it takes 12-15 seconds to rotate it. I can read a newspaper while working on it. [rotate left, read a paragraph or two, rotate up, scratch something, etc.]

@ staigerman

Since 32 bit means 2 exp 32 = 4 GB it makes no sense to give a 4GB-RAM-workstation more swap as it needs to save a dump. Any swapspace at the HD is without any use during a session. You would only need it for sleep modus (suspend) or a dump file, when the OS crashes.
smiley2.gif

Regards Uwe

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back