Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

What software developers really think

mgnt8

http://aec.cadalyst.com/aec/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=338 109

"If you're over 45 in this field, you're a dinosaur. Your job now is to do what you can to ensure that the next generation can do the best job possible, even if that means just getting out of the way"

This reminds me of that science fiction movie from the 70's when every citizen of the futuristic city is exterminated when they reach a certain age leaving the young & beautiful to forever populate society.
Edited by: mgnt8

Two items:

While there are people "over 45" that do not want to "change", most of us, I'm 60, wecome new ways of doing our jobs. I, for one, welcomed CAD. The quote from Scott Simpson, president and CEO of The Stubbins Associatesin the cadalyst report simplyshows the arrogance of so many people in the North East.

Point two:

In the firstparagraph of the report;"and a presentation by environmentalist Robert F. Kennedy Jr. -- ecological design was said to be the mandate for today's architects." Anyone who listens to Robert F. Kennedy Jr. needs their head examined! He is the personification of "environmental wacco"! Only he and his ilk would come up with such a rediculous statement.

Hey I missed that bit about RFK Jr. This is getting more interesting. Here is another one I came across:<A href="http://www.aia.org/aiarchitect/thisweek05/tw0909/tw0909bp_bim.cfm" target="_blank">

Have you heard him rant about George Bush? I'm not sure if it was him, but somebody actually blamed Katrina on Bush! It's global warming, you know. Of course, they convienently ignore the fact that one volcanoe equals all of the pollution that humanity produces in an entire year! And there are 20, on average that go off EVERY YEAR. You do the math. It's just SO irritating to listen to them.

Learn and to Change or Learn new things....

I think that
would be a better way to put the topic heading.

It is true that the older people learn a bit slower. Engineers tend to
buck that rule. In my training experience under 30 learns the fastest
while over 50 learns the slowest. It is my opinion that one must practice
learning by presenting challenges to yourself more often as you age. My personal goal is to be able to learn more
efficiently when I am in my 50’s as I
did in my 20s … I may have to adjust that age to 60 since I
am in my 40’s already but I have said that for 20 years. In order to learn at a fast rate one must
simply place yourself under specific stress and practice.

Television is the problem in my opinion.

The most difficult student I ever had was my dad at 65 years
young! He insisted to write everything down.
PTC training writes everything down for you step by step and that is
not how engieners learn but that is another story.

Edited by: design-engine

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back