Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pro/mech connection type

i could be wrong but....

i am kinda sure that u can get that slot, as a curve driven by equation.
if so, u could just to a slot follower connection to said curve.

and to animate use a dynamic analysis with a initial conditions, of a tangential slot velocity.

Will give it a try later. :)

The real trick is getting that slot part :)

i think there is a equation called lissjous? or something. my some german engineer .. neway i did it this way...
View attachment 2585

then wrapped it on the cylinder.
sweep cut onto cylinder.
made the following arm

arm is assembled via planar connection's and a "slot follower"
i put a datum point in the sphere of the arm tip.

the cylinder is just a normal pin connection.

then a motor was set up to sping the cylinder.

View attachment 2586

looks pretty cool as a animation.

Thanks man. That's really awesome. I may still try to use the general
connection of point on a surface too. I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks for your great input.

hehe

thanks for you kind words :)

Always nice to get a little feedback when trying to help eachother. I think for the most part. Thanks are always over looked.

Good Luck!

I made a similar part a while back. The technique of wraping the curve around the cylinder is way easier than the method I used.

Prstock,
How did you generate the curve? i did a quick look for the equation at the time but not find sucess. Be nice to know for future reference.

What I did was to create a curve by equation for each of the helical portions, then I projected a curve on the surface to blend them in. The method shown of wraping the curve on the surface is much easier. I am using the method for creating other types of feature that need to wrap around a cylinder.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back