Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How many Engineers Graduate ....

design-engine

Everyone at lunch today was talking in the office about graduating Seniors.

How many mechanical engineers would you suspect graduate each year and fit into our workforce?

I work in Texas A&M campus and they do graduations every semester about 2 day three sesions per day. And they say that about 5,000 of them are Engineers. I'm talking per semester including summer. You do the math.

I'm not saying they all are ME. Plus don't forget that TA&M is one of the top 10 UNIV. of the country, With 50,000 students per semester. Plus we have Houston the capital of Enginnering.
smiley36.gif
We don't need to leave the state to get a job.

Wow, it sounds like your engineersare really on top of things (of course you might have to leave the state this season to win a football game).

Michigan Tech graduates 600 ME's each year. I
understand Caterpillar has been hiring engineers from outside the <st1:country-regi on="" w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">United States</st1:place></st1:country-regi>
each month. The first part of the year before all the TN Visas run out,
Companies like CAT thru agencies hire 20+ engineers per month. Now they are all
run out of TN visas are run out what happens.

I was just doing the math and the topic came up in the office the other
day. We were wondering how many engineers there are graduating each year
for a potential market for training them at higher levels before or just after
they graduate.

Edited by: design-engine

Arroyapr,

Oh just giving you a hard time. Don't forget Oceanearing,
Texas Instruments, HP, Dell, webber aircraft. I could name 20
more off the top of my head and I am not even in Texas.

Bascily there are a hell of a lot of engineers who graduate each year. Do you think there are 80 thousand graduating per year.

I am speaking at the Milwaukee Pro/E Users group on Friday. Someone come and say hi to me.

I just read somewhere that starting salary for grads inoil & gas industrythese days is around 60K. I presume they're also taking ME's. Is this why the industrials have to hire so muchfrom outside the US? anyway, you should open an office in Bangalor or Delhi. They say the Indian Institute of technology therehas the best engineers inAsia. Better yet, greet all those TN visas at the airport, offer to teach, house & feed them for a package deal.

Hey design-engine don't worry. I don't get offended that easy. Plus the Oil industry economy doesn't scare me. I do R&D,P&D with fuel cells. And I think is going to be our way out in the next 20 years. I might be dead by then, but I'm hoping that my 2 boys will benefit from it.
Edited by: arroyopr

Fuel Cells? Nice.

Sustainability is a word that the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> retailers are speaking out loud
now. Expect for our market to change significantly in 10 years. I
am surprised it did not happened like other cultures earlier.

an MVP will tell me to search for it on the board but for conversation sake and
It would be nice to hear it from you, what are fuel cells exactly.

Beyond the hydrogen from water part. I remember hearing about hydrogen
from water in 1980 but it took 26 years to get this far.

It's a little more complicated than that. But you have a general idea. It's another way to produce some kind energy,power,etc., With thecombination of several sciences working together. The hydrogen from water part it's just one way to produce that power source. And yes the proces absolutely clean sterilze. Wich is the beauty of it. No enviromental hazard envolve. Anyways this is a topic that would take a while to discuss.

Did a mention that its charge could last daysssss......

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/84502986?CR ETRY=1&SRETRY=0
Edited by: arroyopr

that reminds me of an old joke: How many mechanical engineers does it take to replace a light bulb?
Three. One to decide which way the bulb should turn, one to calculate the force required, and one to design a tool with which to turn the bulb.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I thought it took a total crew to replace a light bulb.

Engineer: Decide which way the bulb should turn

Engineer: Caculate the force required

Engineer: design a tool

Draftsmen: Model and detail the tool

Toolshop: Make First article

QA: Validate the tool and test tool, Then fail it.

Engineer: Request a ECO to change the tooling

Draftsmen: Change the model and detail to reflect the Rev change

Toolshop: Recreate First article

QA: Validate the tool and test tool.

Take 2 hour lunch

Were these to be NASA jokes? So how many engineers do you guys think there are in the States? I am having a hard time with the math.

Colleges that produce engineers?

Number to graduate from each?

Number of years college has been producing engineers?

workspan not lifespan of engineer?

[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05 /19/AR2006051901760.html[/url]

"... the United States annually produces 137,437 engineers with at least a bachelor's degree while India produces 112,000 and China 351,537. That's more U.S. degrees per million residents than in either other nation."

Apparantly,the nation that is referred to as mainland China has between 7to 11 different dialects and they all have different translations for what the word "engineer" means.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back