Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Not really Mirror Assembly

CalManya

Hi,

I need to do an assembly which is a "mirror" of another I have. It's not really a mirror assembly, it's an assembly with the same parts of the original but with different constrains to get an assembly of the "other hand".

How may I create both assemblies to keep the same parts with different constrains and be dependent of each other?

Thanks for all!

You can't. What you need to do is make a copy of the original assembly. You could then set up temporary interchange assemblies to swap parts over which are the opposite hand - not losing your original assembly constraints. Another way of tackling is to set it up with a family table. With a little bitof forward thinking assemblies can be set up to make left or right hand assemblies. You may need to set up a skeleton fetatures though which can be manipulated - like datums on angular orienations etc.

Phil

The way I would do it is create a copy of the assembly, it will send you into a menu that you can choose to reuse the components or rename (create new) the subassemblies/parts. At that point, just choose the default "reuse" and click ok. Then, open the new assembly and reconstrain it. As for it being "dependent" of eachother I am not sure what you mean. I know that the parts will individually update as they are changed (hense the "reuse" componenets, if you rename them it will create a new part which would be totally independent of the other components). Maybe you are talking about keeping the assemblies with the same but opposite contraints. In that case, if they are both contained in the same top level assembly (or create a new one) you can write relations for those contraints.(as long as they have a numerical value.) Hopefully this helps

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back