Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Centrifugal Force

nalaalan

I'm creating a simple model of a sliding vane supercharger. It has four vanes that slide in slots in a drum. The vanes slide out and mate with the casing walls due to the centrifugal force when the drum is spinning. The drum is mounted off-centre in its casing so that the air is compressed as it is pushed around the supercharger.

View attachment 2531

I have used slider connections on the vanes and put a servo motor on the drum.

Is it possible for the vanes to move outwards to meet the casing wall when the drum is rotated. This would normally happen due to the centrifugal force but I cannot find any way of setting this up in Pro/E. I thought a cam connection might be used to make the vanes follow the casing wall but I didn't have any success.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

HI,

In first time sorry for my english but I'm french.

If i understand you wnat put the edge of the grey parts (vanes) on the surface of the drum. So Why you not used the Slot Follower system in the mecanism department of Proe.. Create a point on the edge and create

Thanks Ben

A slot follower worked perfectly. I'm new to the mechanism part of Pro/E so I hadn't used this connection before.

No problem Nalaalan

I discover this connection 3 weeks ago and I used ProE one year ago now. But I learn ProE in a school. I try all function for use it and see the result.

Bye

The slot follower solution works to demonstrate the supercharger's motion, but it does not represent what is physically happening. There is no physical connection to limit the motion like the slot follower does.

"Is it possible for the vanes to move outwards to meet the casing wall when the drum is rotated. This would normally happen due to the centrifugal force but I cannot find any way of setting this up in Pro/E."

This is possible if you create a Dynamic analysis with mechanism. When defining the analysis, look under the "type" pull-down for this option. For this type of analysis, you will need to define mass properties of the components. You may also want to define an initial condition, much like an initial snapshot.

Forexample, I set the mass properties to default for the assembly. I created an initial condition using an initial angular velocity for the drum, and a snapshot that I liked.

This will cause the vanes to move outwards as the drum spins, but will not stop them at the casing. For that, you can set up cam connections between the blades and the casing, and enable liftoff. I have not got a chance to play with WF3 yet, but I understand that it will be able to detect these collisions, and will not need the extra connections.

Hope this helps, my models should be attached.

-ec

2006-08-05_163116_Mechchal.zip

Thanks ecosgriff

This model is being used to demonstrate how the supercharger works so the slot follower solution was fine but your solution is more realistic and is how I imagined the model would work when I started creating it.

I've not tried WF3 yet either but it would be much easier if it did detect collisions.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back