Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Motherboard upgrade

Geneg

I have to upgrade motherboard on a workstation where ProE 2001 is currently installed.

As I understand license filesare locked on the Ethernet card of the machine. I wonder if an installation of a new MB and a processorwill bepossible without getting a new license files from PTC. And if it is, can I upgrade to W2.

Please advice. Thanks

Hi, If it is a locked license on your machine then yes it is linked to the network card. Plug that into your new motherboard and if you are recovering your harddisk I think there should be no issues. If you're getting a new HD then you'll need to setup your flexlm again, hence needing the old license file.

Upgrading to WF2 depends whether you invested in maintenance? And if you are making the switch then you'll need to request a new license file anyway. (license simplification things etc)

Regards,

Nick

Nick, thanks.

I do not have maintenance contract on that license, because that license was purchased by a company that filed a bankruptcy and company that I work for inherited that license. PTC wants us to pay a transfer fee, which we can not afford.

<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Do we really need a new license file? old one does not expiration time on it.

thanks,

I'm sorry mate, but your license file will not be valid for WF2, at the most WF 1 (but i cuold be wrong). I see where you are coming from, I had 3 years of backmaintenance to upgrade to WF2 for the flex 3C license. And yeah indeed a license is not transferable to a new company, so I would take caution while negotiating with PTC .

Sorry not to have better news;

Nick

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back