Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pro/E on MacBook Pro

jpompa

In case anybody is interested, Pro/E (an old 2001 version) installed on a new MacBook under WinXP running in "Parallels", the third party virtual machine software. Everything I've tried so far works properly except for the 3 button mouse 3d model rotation. The Parallels software turns "ctrl+any button click" into "ctrl+left button click". As a work around, I used a freeware program called "keytweak" to turn the "apple" key into a "control" key and that fixes the problem.

...and so, jpompa's place in history is secure...

Now, about Wildfire 3.0...

I would like to think that all of this is dialed in with an official PTC procedure
by the release of the tower (August or so).

Delusion. That's what I'm into.

i have installed wf2 and wf3 on windows...installed on new intel mac. same issue with ctrl key and work around, but seems to run okay.

Any thoughts on graphics performance?
Maybe it would be most interesting to compare with ProE in Windows under
Boot Camp on the same machines.

I would do it just to be funny and make people laugh. Pro/E on a
MAC. I love that! Send us screen captures so we can
make that our background. You shoudl be able to get the mouse to work properly.

Edited by: design-engine

I just saw a job posting that Apple is looking for an ME with Pro/E experiance. WTF Does that mean they could possibly use Pro/E on a mac? I remember the days when Dell used SGI workstations and Intel would not think to use Pro/E till 1993 per relese 10 of Pro/E on a PC.

Apple Computer, Inc.

1 Infinite Loop

Cupertino, CA 95014

Phone: (408) 996-1010

I'm curious how Pro/E performs under Parallels. Last I heard, Parallels wasn't able to use the graphics hardware in the MBP. jpompa, let us know how it's performing.

Bart, Apple uses UGNX for MOST of their products.

I saw a few job listings for the portables division looking for UG or ProEngineer expeirence as well.

When we had an upper level PLM at one of our meetings someone asked about Linux and Mac versions, and the reply was that the linux builds have not been as popular as they hoped and that currently because of this they would not look at going to a Mac. Now if Apple were to buy some seats we know how PTC would change...

how about Pro|E on Intel Mac but not in Parallels (ie booted only into XP with BootCamp)?

I want to buy an iMac but use Pro|E heavily. I just want it to work well, dont need it to run in OSX with Parallels. Is there any possibility of funny business like no middle mouse button if I was completely just booted into Windows?

I have seen Apple looking for engineers that know their ProE, for quite
some time now, more than two years. Thats way before the official intel-
switch, and I dont think they trust a secret of that magnitude to their just
recruited engineers.

I using ProE less today, but in may this year I had ProE WF2 running on
my MBP (2x2Ghz/2GB RAM)
Never tried it trough Parallels though, only Bootcamp.
Due to the narrow harddrive on the MBP I dont have ProE installed
anymore, just a very clean WinXP install with Solidworks and Rhino.
I'm happy with the performance, but dont like the workaround needed for
moving data between the two OS's.

Btw, I never let my XP see any sort of internet connection, so that makes
my install free from virussoftware and such.
smiley36.gif

Edited by: m_collner

m_collner, did ProE WF2 function perfectly in Bootcamped XP for you? None of this stuff like mouse not working right?

I haven't run Pro/E on my Bootcamped Macbook Pro, but I know that my Logitech USB mouse works just fine. My bluetooth MightyMouse works, too. No problems with right-click or middle-click. Should be fine for Pro/E.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back