Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pro-E / PTC sucks

mattraby

I am a relatively new Pro-E user. To date my opinion of Pro-Eand PTC is LOW. Customer service is awful. Tech support is barely there.

Maybe because I've used Inventor and Solidworks, I have the opinion that everything revolving around Pro-E is convoluted. It seems that I have to take 20 steps to achieve what would only take 3 steps in other softwares. I've yet to find any advantage to using Pro-e over others I've used.

I feel like I wasted my money. I should have just spent the money in Las Vegas, it would have been a better return on investment.
smiley18.gif

I understand you perfectly.

Despite a clear improvement (WF) and willingness to make things userfriendly the interface and inner workings of ProE are old fashioned. And I'm afraid it will stay cumbersome as much is related to the internal machinery. Clearly ProE is set up by programmers with their ease of life central and not developed to make it "smooth working" for the users. I know from experience that it's a lot easier to write software where you don't do anything until all parameters are in place than to write a program where you try to capture the users intent and intelligently guide him through the process, allowing a flexible approach and filling in the gaps that the user leaves behind.

While ProE may be a fine modeler when you know what you're going for, it lags behind where evolving design is concerned. When "carving and cutting" a setup you want to be flexible. The last thing you want is CAD that says "I can't figure this out, giving up". Changing a parameter in ProE, causing a face to be no longer there, is enough to blow up a part and subsequently the entire assembly. This is where "my other CAD" is much more flexible and forgiving.

That being said, ProE is an excellent modeler. There's a powerfull solving machine inside and lots of things you can drive.

The fact that ProE works with files in memory is a mixed blessing. It speeds up working by reducing disk access. But it practically forbids "easy" file-naming and opening random files across different directories.

There are good features when creating drawings, for instance the close bidirectional relation between model parameters and drawing content. But there's equally things that drive you crazy.

ProE is a complex woman to try to live with, but once you build an understanding you may get to appreciate her ...

Alex

Pro/E is none of the above, it is an advanced 3d mathematical solid geometry program that solves everything mathematically,but ask yourself this;

Why is Pro/E so hard to learn and why there isso much to learn?

Theanswers lie in the other software packages - Inventor and Solidworks....

Inventor - How many add-ons for this?.....over 250 and adding more.

How is this possible, how can a 3d package have so many add-ons. Does that mean the base package is lacking over 250 functions? Also what version is Inventor up tonow - 11, has Inventor been going for 11 years? NO!

Solidworks - how many add-ons? It seems Solidworkslikes to do this as well because itsbase package is also lacking functions. I believe this numberhas just passed 150.

The other thing to ask yourself; why are Solidworks and Inventor models hollow?How many usersof Solidworks and Inventor realise that their great package is only emulating 3d "SOLIDS". This might explain a few bugs. Maybe this is why Pro/E is so complex, it calculates the solid geometry. Thats why you cant always do what you want in Pro/E, if it cant be done mathematically then you cant create it. This is the core of 3d solids.

There is only one way to find out which is worth it -write down a list of functions and options you would like to get out of your 3d software and then getpricing to suite the functionality that you require.

For example; Mechansims, Animation, Renderings, Analysis,Mold Designetc.etc.

I did this and got the best deal from PTC.

Well, I see you're one of those........

I design custom machinery for factory automation. Somewhat complex, but not necessarily rocket science. I need simple interfaces that allow me to get the job done. I couldn't give twoflips about a "powerful mathematical solvers".

Mechanisms, Animation, Rendering,etc., etc. have never secured a machinery bid for me. Getting the job done on-time and under budget have.

We purchased Pro-e because a new hire engineer talked a good game about his expertise with the software. He wasterminated recently because his performance was less than desirable. Was his termination due to Pro-e? Not at all, he just couldn't do the job he said he could. However, because I had no input at the outset of the purchase of the software, I'm stuck with it because the budget for modeling software is gone for a few years.

So to sum up...if you want simple interfaces and speed in design time, I don't recommend Pro-e. I may , as others have suggested, come to understand and lovethe old girl in years to follow. For now, my relationship with Pro-e is a passionate yet tempestous one.

Gamack,

I couldn't agree with you more. I learned on SolidWorks about four or five years ago. I have been using Pro for over 3 years now. I would never go back to a "basic solid modeling package".

Mattraby... well hang in there... also try writing mapkeys... they make a huge difference. If you take the time and use it everyday you will pick it up... also it helps to work with an experienced pro user that knows the tricks.

I have used Pro/E since '92. I have also used Catia, Inventor, Ideas and others. With all things considered, I will take Pro/E ever them all. Sure, it has it quirks just like every other software package, but I have learned over the years, that I cannot change the software with a snap of the finger, and for it to get better I have to be patient. The only other option is to change jobs and go somewhere else that has"better" software only to find out that it is just as unforgiving. Complaining the right way does open eyes at PTC, believe me, it does. Post your suggestions for improvements and pe patient while the software is developed. I am hoping by what I have been told, that WF3 is going to make a lot of people happy.

Just my two cents.

I'm not that HAPPY yet
smiley11.gif
. I'm been told that spend more time completting my task than ever. Thanks to WF3. Three month 40 hrs a week and still trying to figure it out.

Did you get the update training before going to WF3? I am curious because I didn't get it when we went to 2.0 from 2001 and I didn't have too much trouble. I am chomping at the bit to see some of the enhancements in 3.0. I think they will help me tremendously.

I'm not in daily contact with Solidworks or Inventor but I doubt the present state of the programs would be that they are surface modellers. I work with Solid Edge as an alternative (program that clearly inspired SW) and that is "solid" for sure.

SE is getting out its version 19 soon, at the rate of roughly 6 months between versions. Each version introduces some evolution, while existing versions get periodic bugfixing.

You can complain about addins but what's the real difference with mapkeys ? Surely those are creating some functionality that is not available (or hard to do) in the normal program.

I can't complain to much about pro/E because it has paid my bills and put food on my table. Sometimes Pro/E can be to most PIA piece of trash but at the end of the day, you figured it out and learned something new. I work at a place that does software development and I have to tell you, what it takes to produce complex application such as Pro/E is mind boggling. Every 3D app. has it's shines and deep evil secrets but I believe thats par for the course.

To say Pro/E sucks because it may do things in a different way is a little rash. The add-on game is played by every software company, it's how it make more money on one application. Pro/E playes the game too!

I think its funny that people complain and complain to PTC for change and when the change comes, more complaining comes down the shoot. Don't get me wrong I've complained to PTC as well but complaining about a way Pro/E puts in a round or some other feature? Now if you could not put in a round feature then you have something to complain about.

Hey, I'm just glad I don't have to sit in front of a drafting table with a pencil and start working.

AHA-D,

PTC used to put out 2 versions of Pro/E a year as well. I have to believe that with the econmic downturn some years ago, and the complexity of the software, that had to stop doing that. I can't imagine how many patches would have to be issued if they just slammed a new version out every six months with no time to test.

I have tried SW before and liked some of the features. Inventor is what it is as well. I happen to like Pro/E the best (been using a long time). I also think that we are conditioned in our environment and are resistant to change, hence theput downsof the other packages, which I try not to participate in.

MattRaby,

I understand, Pro can be frustrating sometimes when trying to accomplish the simple. We make custom equipment at our facility too. One of Pro/e's great benefits that you may not be taking advantage of isthe ability to automate. I know many packages can read in parameters from excel spreadsheets. But Pro can do much more that that in terms of automation. We have entire units that are generated in pro, yet a human never runs it. We just dump a set of parameters into a queue. It creates custom pat #s, BOMs, and manufacturing documents and NC toolpath data in the form of iges files. We can't do all of our work like this, but we can do some, and it keeps engineers working on import things, not mundane button pushing. Tools such as Layouts, Pro/Program, Pro/toolkit, and a little support from VB to kick it all off.

I have a former solid edge user who was very resistant to Pro/e.We had to automate an entire product line. He pushed hard for Solidworks, but we are too committed to Pro now. After finishing the product and seeing the level of automation, his words were something like: "Pro/E is a pain in the @SS some times, and can be more difficult to use, but we could never have pulled this off using Edge. Not even close".

In addition to what FishNut said, we also use Pro/E to do a lot of
automation. Only partial automation, but something that has
allowed us to produce custom variations of products rapidly. We
extensively use Pro/Program and relations to drive our models. We
are looking to use the FREE J/Link API bundled with Pro/E to further
enhance the automation. Eventually, we plan to tie this all to a
product configurator and automate (hopefully) 50% of our production.

A few gripes though:

*Pro/E should change Pro/Program to use the Javascript API. Their
Web/Link API already does, and integrating it directly into Pro/E would
be a Godsend. Arrays and looping are items that Pro/E would
greatly benefit from.

*Pro/E needs to use the standard Window GDI. It is a little quirky on the dialog boxes.

I have not used any other solid modeling package (aside from standard
AutoCAD solids), but I love the software. It is easy to use,
their sheet metal and NC-Sheetmetal packages are wonderdful, and the
fact that there is three ways to do automation leaves the door wide
open (Toolkit/JLink/WebLink/ProProgram)...wait that is four.

I heard recently that OCC Choppers made a mockery of Solidworks, with
Paul Jr. saying something like "Get this Solidworks crap out of
here". Remember the scene where the CAD operator slammed his
keyboard over frustration with it. From what I have read, they
only use it for doing wheels now, which is pathetic if true. 6
months to model a tank and some fenders? Is it really that quick
to market? And ther bike looks like crap. Contrast that
with Harley Davidson,. who uses Pro/E. Beautiful curves and
wicked lines.

I recently took the advanced part and assembly classes and was
amazed. The things you can do with surfaces is the cream of the
crop.

Also, have any of you seen how ANSYS 10 integrates directly into the
interface. We watched a demo of this and everyone in the room was
amazed.

I say, if you don't like it, don't use it. Everyone has their
preference. If Solidworks works for you, then great. If
Inventor works for you, then great. But don't denegrate the
software that provides many of us a lifestyle we may not enjoy if we
didn't have Pro/E. We just have differing opinions.

Later.

Pro-E is a very capable design packageand I'm sure, with a little time invested in learning the interface, you will find it can do what you want it to do. It is, though, a relic of the past. The Wildfire up-grade appears to be an attempt by PTC to windowize the interface and make it more user-friendly. Being that Pro-E has been around so long, it carries baggage of days gone by. Solid Works and Solid Edge are certainly much more user friendly and easier to work with (I've never used Inventor), but they were developed with the advantage of being able to look at Pro-E and other design software packages'short comings. In ten years, when Solid Edge and Solid Works are carrying years of legacy, they too will be compared to the latest design software in the same light Pro-E is compared to them today. There's a good reason why Autodesk introduced Inventor rather than continuing to build on Autocad for a solid modeling product. Eventually, if PTC wants to remain competitive, they too will have get rid of the bad legacy features, by introducing a completely new product.

But, for now, from one who prefers SolidWorks or Solid Edge over Pro-E, don't be so quick to condemn or give up on Pro-E. It is a very good design software package if you are willling to stick with it and learn it.

yeah PTC sucks butsolidworks sucks worseas a cad package

yes they suck at support and the rest, its because they want you to buy training at 1500/day hello... the only favor that has been done for us old timers is the wildfire is even harder to use than the older versions, and that is great becauseit keeps the low ender'saway... which works for me

and i say thank God for that, otherwise our rates would be down there with teh rest of the AA students, new grads and other secretary's running solidworks for 25/hr

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back