Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

This topic needs a much better title

waltter

i do not know if this is right topic section for my question but if not i'm sorry...

i'm trying to do a bolt component containing a screw, ring, and nut maybe a hole but it's not necesary... firs what i did was create a main parameter "DIAMETER" from which others dimensions are derivated(i used approx. formulas, not tables). i did it for all parts, then i defined for each part a relations,datums, sections and features. I did an TEMP_ASSEMBLY of that 3 parts where i make additional datum to get dimension for screw length(which is defined as flexible). I did a parameter "DIA" and i connect it to "DIAMETER" of alls. Then i make a UDF from that parts, but... if i place it in assembly first problem is that i can't define diameter right in UDF creation proces, and second problem is that a main "DIA" parameter of TEMP_ASSEMBLY which drives others parts parameter DIAMETER is not accessible...

thanx for any advice

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to accomplish so it might help if you could show a picture of your 'bolt'. Also, does it 'need' to be an assy or can it be a part with thenecessary features added to it? Typically a bolt would be one part with the required features added such as holes, slots, pins, etc...etc. then made into a family table to create the different partshaving different sizes (lengths, diams, etc...) which can also be controlled by relations. Your situation may be different. Flexible dimensions come into affect when the part is put into an assy. Example...if you have a bolt-nut combination you would choose the desired part (instance) from the family table and insert it into the assy. Then you couldadjustthe position of the nut for different material thicknesses by changing the flexible dimension. I dont know if any of this will help but its my best guess from the info in the question you posted.

ok i wanna make a part/subassembly (such as template of standard ISO part) which allows me in proces of placeing it into an assembly input a parameter which drive whole part/subassembly

for example

i have a ring (major dia(drive all params), minor dia=0.8*major dia, width=0.1*major dia), and when i'm placeing it i wanna input major dia....

i have nut and screew subassembly (both are driven by major dia by relations sets in their part files), and again i wanna input major diameter right in placing proces...(when i'm coosing placing references)

...but if i use family table i can coose only one of instances, but i can't directly input a diameter numericaly....

...and if i use UDF it' same problem...

--I think I have the basics of what you are trying to do but I still need some more info to be clear on what it is.It just seems like youmay betrying to accomplish too much with one parameter at a time whenI dont think it canbe done when there is likely an easier way to do it.If youcouldpost a picture (preferably w/ 3d notes pointing to the parts )or if possible (WF2-SE partand assy files) it might help clear things up as tohow all the pieces fit together. Otherwise its difficult to make useable suggestions.

--To my knowledge, when placing (inserting) acomponent into an assy you can only add constraints to get it assembled and not change a parameter (while) you are doing it. A flexible component is slightly different in that you can access the flex dims from the assembly/constraint window. AFTERthe componentis in the assy youcould change a parameter but itsdifficult to get features of a part in an assy to change with a parameter and relations in the assy.

--Is the 'ring' actually a ring that goes thru a hole in the screw or is it another name for awasher?

--You didnt say if your 'assy'NEEDS to be an assy or can be a part.Since you seem to want one parameter to control the size of the assy then having part numbers of the screw, nut and ring wont matter for BOM purposes.Thiswould allow you to make it as apart not an assy where its easier to control the whole thing with a parameter.

--You say a family table wont work because you can only choose one instance. I'm not clear on that because even with a parameter you would end up with one final configuration. If you needed to change that configuration it would be just as easy to replaceone family table instance with another one.

ok i realy don't belive that a screenshot helps you much so i try it explain better...

if i have an assembly of some parts i sometimes need use standard parts like screws, washers, nuts etc. So i wanna create templates for every standard part which contain that part with all possible relations (for example a washer has tree parameters derived from one diameter -- diameter of shaft or screew).

if i am in assembly mode and i wanna use that washer for shaft 30 mm of diameter i can do this in three ways:

1, realy complicated

I make a template file of washer there can be a designate parameter diameter
so
create new part-->use washer template-->change designate parameter(diameter and name)-->save copy-->add component to assembly-->done

2, much better
I make a template file of washer, i make an UDF from it where variable dimension can be diameter
so
insert-->UDF-->alternate references-->modify variable dimension-->done

3, realy good
I make a template file of washer with family table let's say for diameter from 1 to 30 mm
so
add component to assembly-->take instance with diameter 30mm-->done

but noone is good enought

first is complicated
second can change only dimension not parameter (this option there is but if i click define nothing happend)

third option is usefull until i wanna use washer for 40mm of diameter...

and i wanna
add component to assembly-->choose washer template-->input diameter-->references-->done

this is not only about one stupid washer, i wanna use it for much complicated assemblies but for example it is enought...

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back