Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Problems starting PartAdvisor

orac

Hi,

After doing a new installation of Pro/E I can't use Part Advisor anymore.
I have installed it, the licenses are okay.
When I start it crashes. When I take a look at the event viewer of Windows I see partadv seems to crash in mfc42.dll.

The exact error message in the log is
Faulting application partadv.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module mfc42.dll, version 6.2.4131.0, fault address 0x0000425e

When I scan the disk for mfc42.dll I see there are several versions of mfc42.dll on the hard disk.
Using a dependency checker partadv seems to be connected with the version that can be found in c:\windows\system32

Is there anyone who has an idea how to solve this ?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

John

hey guys,i had thesameproblem. here is the workaround:
The following key needs to be added to the registry
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PTC\PLASTIC Advisor 7.0\Log]
Create "MPA_DISPLAY_DRIVER_STR"="Undefined"
If the Log directory does not exist, please go ahead and create one then add a string value to it.
To access the registry editor: Select >RUN >type the command REGEDIT >OK
this worked for me. the good news is that it is fixed in WF2 datecode M210
Edited by: prouser1

Thank you VERY MUCH.
I'll try this immediately and will also try to download the new datecode.

Best regards,

John

Prouser1,

We use Mold Advisor and I am having a access issue through Pro-E as well. I checked the registry and under the Log directory I find the key you mention, but the data calls out my video card and not "undefined". Should that be changed.

My problem openingPlastic Advisor (in Wildfire 4.0) may have been a little more unique -I could open Plastic Advisor as an administrator, but when logged on as a user the application would not open (this has happened with several users) and displayed the error message: "partadv.­exe has encountered a problem and needs to close". My guess is that it is some kind of a permissions issue relating to the fact that I was logged on when I installed the software.

I compared the current user registry to mine (the administrator) and, by comparison, the new user's PLASTIC Advisor 7.0 registry was incomplete.

While I was waiting (for two days) for PTC to respond, I added the registry key (as recommended by prouser1 above) to the current user (must be logged on as the intended user) registryand the application opened successfully.

It appears the following executable is the offender.

C:\PTC-Apps\Wildfire 4.0\i486_nt\obj\partadv.exe

You should be able to double-click that file to launch Plastic Advisor.

When PTC finally did respond, the recommendation (below) was the same as prouser1's.
I have tried to reproduce the issue at my end and have not been successful in doing so.
Please try the following and update me with the status:<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

The following key needs to be added to the registry

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PTC\PLASTIC Advisor 7.0\Log]
Create New > String Value:
Value Name = MPA_DISPLAY_DRIVER_STR
Value Data = Undefined
If the Log directory does not exist, please go ahead and create one then add a string value to it.
prouser1: +1
smiley4.gif

PTC Support:-1
smiley7.gif

Cheers!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back