Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

alternative for mouse, using Pro/E

Peka

Since a few weeks Isuffering onRSI in my right wrist, blame to the daily 4 until 12 hours work with cad software.
I temporarily solved this problem with changemy simply standard mouse fromtheright to my left hand.
But I searchingto a better solution.
Something equally like an ergonomicmouse or a spaceball or a vertical mouse or a joystick or something else.
But it must also compactibel with Pro/Engineer.
Can somebody give me some advice what'sthe bestalternative for a standard mouse to use Pro/E? More ergonomical and even more work speed.

Best Regards.
Peka
Edited by: Peka

You can check out the 3D motion controllers from 3Dconnexion.

http://www.3dconnexion.com/products/3a.php

They have a few products that are mainly used to boost productivity. I had a chance to play around with one. There is a bit of a learning curve. It'll take a bit to get used to using it. However, once you get used to it, part modelling gets easier. Also, they support Pro/E Wildfire.

Another question : is there somebody who use a graphics tablet, for exampleIntuos3 from Wacom, to work with Pro/E?

Best regards,
Peka

Peka,

I tried using a Intous2 a couple of years ago. I really liked the way the pen worked, and it was very comfortable, but it only has 2 buttons so I couldn't figure a way to use it. I still use it for Photoshop, just wish there was a way to use something like that in Pro E.

I have used Spaceball and SpacePilot, both excellent, but you can't use them without mouse, so you still need mouse.
I was also having problem with wrist, but then I started to loose pressure with my hand, while holding mouse, also using ergonomic mouse pad can help.
http://www.janway.com/mousepads_gel.htm

I use a trackball and a SpaceBall 2003 with WF2. I couldn't justify the cost of a new spaceball when i had never used one so i brought a secondhand unit off ebay which cost me less than $50 i love the way it works. 3dconnexion don't say they support the older models but the new drivers works with the older models (well my 2003 does) and WF2.

i posted a similar post a good few months back re: rsi... i was getting a lot of pain in right hand and clicking of right shoulder. I searched a bit on the net for articles on rsi etc and spent a goodfew

I am sold on the TrackMan Wheel. I have used one for several years since I had developed wrist and shoulder pain from using a standard mouse and am no longer in pain. The great thing is they are quite inexpensive and work well with ProE as well as Inventor and mechanical desktop and all othe software I run. I purchased one for personal use at home. Check them out.

I am using a Wacom intuos2 A4+ for some years now and it works fine for me. You have standard 3-buttons pen available which you can configure.

res@sonion said:
I am using a Wacom intuos2 A4+ for some years now and it works fine for me. You have standard 3-buttons pen available which you can configure.

res@sonion, How do you scroll and zoom with a 3 buttons pen?? Can you set one button with the sam functionallity of a scorll wheel from an intellimouse?

Thanks all for the advise,

Peka

Hi Peka,
you might have a look at the Logitech MX 100 mouse and assign MMB to the FastForward button. It works exellent for me.
ReinhardN

smiley4.gif

Just in case anybody is interested:

I just got my recently-purchased $30 Spaceball 2003b working under Wildfire 3.0 (Windows XP), using the drivers listed elsewhere on this forum.

The latest drivers from 3DConnexion report the spaceball as "unknown hardware", althought it doesn't just close as when there's nothing connected.

JR

One of the team leaders I work with here got one recently and thinks it is the best thing since sliced bread.

Feels a bit funny to me when you hold it, but he says you get used to it quickly enough.

Kev

PS He does keep his old optical attached to the PC so that others can 'drive' to show him stuff.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back