Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Dragging and moving a location

nthawk

Need a few tips here. I'm trying to route a harness and currently I'm trying to move, basically drag an independant location to a new position. Problem is, in Wildfire, I can't switch between the x, y, and z axis with the mouse so that I can move the location in the harness bundle to change the routing.

I posted a reply to another post a few minutes ago.

I would advocate adding your routing hardware before you lay your cable. Perhaps this isn't what your read from PTC, but you have to add them at some point, so why not earlier rather than later? I have axes in my hardware and run the cables through these. Some hardware can be dragged, or you might need to move a feature(s) in part to relocate the hardware?

Saying this, if you're commited already, what about working orthographically instead of in an isometric view? Won't this restrict the movement parallel to the screen?

If this doesn't work, PM me and I'll have a look for you.

Cheers

Dave

Hi nthawk,

For draging,pick the location and right click the mouse botton.a red arrow will show the direction and subsequent right click will change the direction to x,y and z.try this.it will work.

Nope, no dice. Right clicking does nothing to chance the x,y, or z direction when dragging a location. Is there something in my setup file. Something for setting up the mouse?

You might know this but if you use views like top, side, frontthen thepoint will only move up and down left and right.

sudhakar_nagai said:
Hi nthawk,

For draging,pick the location and right click the mouse botton.
Hi all,
I am just starting with Pro/Cabling.
I can route wires along axises and through vertices just fine. But when I want do move the locations, Pro/E wants me to 'Select the location to move'. My problem is that the locations are not shown on the screen. So there is nothing there for me to select ...
This must be a setting of some kind, but I have not been able to find it.
Do you know what could cause my locations not shown on the screen?
I am using WildFire 2.0.

Kind regards
Eddy

Edited by: EddyVE

Ignore my last question.
I found the answer in one of FroTimes free tutorials.
Looks like I need to turn off the 'Thick cables' feature. If the wires are displayed as centerlines, then I can see AND drag the locations.

Kind regards
Eddy

Thanks for the tips guys.

New problem. I've a harness that was routed by a competitor. Problem is, they had points tied to external geometry that should have been broken. So bundles fail or have to be surpressed. Pulling in the missing model that these points are tied to has not solved the problem. Aside from rerouting those failed bundles, is there another solution? Rerouting the failed bundles is a problem since we're not familiar with how this harness was routed in the first place.

Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 4.0 provides a 'convert to offset' option in Cabling for just this purpose.

There should now be an option to freeze the locations that are missing references and subsequently convert them to offset. They will use the global CSYS from which to reference.

Regards,

Martin

That's the problem. Whoever worked on this previously, looks like when things started to fail, they surpressed those items instead of freezing. And they saved the harness like this, and trying to create new points, redefine the old ones fails the harness.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back