Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Cut Depth

Jett

Have a sheetmetal part, .050" thck, that has a machined groove in it. When I enter the depth of the groove (.025" dp) it makes a "thru" cut

Anyway to model this in sheetmetal mode?

Jett,

Did you make a sheetmetal cut? If you haven't already, try insert>extrude for your cut.

Sip

Yes, I'm creating the cut as an extrude and any depth less than the material thickness results in a thru cut

What I'm looking to is to sketch a shape and remove all material w/in the sketch to a depth less than the material thickness. Pulled the following from the PTC help site:

"Because sheet metal cuts are surface cuts, you cannot make a cut to partially remove wall thickness. For example, you can not cut a 1cm deep hole in a 10cm thick wall. This may make the Blind depth command somewhat difficult to understand. The Blind depth command applies to cutting on bends. You can sketch the cut to the edge of the bend and project it a blind depth down the bent wall, saving you the time of unbending the wall, making the cut, and bending back the wall."

Why not let it behave as if creating a cut in part mode?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back