Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Setting default explode status for assys

jabster42

Hi.

I am using proe 2001 (for about 4 months now) and have a question regarding assemblies and expolde status.

I have noticed that when I create an assembly, the default is to be exploded, so that when I actually want to make an exploded view, I first need to toggle the explode status of all components to "unexploded," so that I can start from the assembled state.

Is there a way to have components be unexploded by default when I assemble them? i didn't see anything in the options. It seems like having the "default" explode state to be unexploded would make a lot more sense.

thanks,
john

I don't understand why you think the assembly default is exploded.

Also when I create an exploded state I do not adjust the explode stati, however I do go through and reset all the positions to "unexploded" by picking the parents with the preferences set to "Move with Children". Only after this do I then start exploding components out from the "home" position.

DB

Because when I go ExpStatus->Setcurrent->Default->Done, some of the parts are exploded. Again, only some. So if I really want to make an exploded view, I need to redefine, and toggle explode status to get everything back to unexpoded. It's a PITA.

-john

Like I said, I do not touch the explode status. Toggling the explode status is probably your main source of grief. The two states you toggle between are the "moveable" (default) and "locked unexploded" (alternate) which actually prevents you from moving components by accident or on purpose.

You are better off resetting the assembly to as explained above and exploding from there. By using the "Move with Children" preference and correctly picking the top level parents it shouldn't take you longer than about 10 seconds to fully reset a reasonably large assembly.

DB

BTW I trust the you are trying to explode the assembly in Assembly mode and not in Drawing mode which is a huge PITA

Explode State and Explode Status are NOT the same thing.

Yes I redefine the default explode state and sometimes define additional explode states as well but I never toggle Explode Status in doing so.

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

Dell_Boy said:
...however I do go through and reset all the positions to "unexploded"...

If I'm reading you right, that's basically my question. (ANd what I've been doing.)

why do I have to reset each item to unexploded? Why isn't defaut unexploded?

-john

p.s. And no, I'm not trying to explode with in drawing mode. didn't even know that was possible.

I will try to give a clearer explanation

From what I can work out you appear to be toggling Explode Status to unexplode components via the menu picks:-

ExplodeState/Redefine/Default/Done/Expld Status/Toggle Expld

I am resetting components to their unexploded position via the menu picks:-

ExplodeState/Redefine/Default/Done/Position/Reset/Preference s/Move with Children

The default explode state appears to be an almost random explosion of components. Yes it probably would be nicer if the default was initially unexploded but noobs might not realise they were still in that state and fail to Unexplode It before carrying on working only to get strange results later on.

I suppose it is a bit like showing dimensions. For me they always appear on the wrong side of the view. I would truly love to be able to totally invert PTC's logic.

History Lesson
A few years ago the base package for Pro/E (prior to Foundation) did not include Pro/Process for Assemblies. If you didn't have this module, you couldn't define Explode States, hence you could ONLY modify exploded positions in drawing/report mode. You can still do it under the View/Mod Expl menu but I wouldn't recommend it.

DB

Dell_Boy said:
From what I can work out you appear to be toggling Explode Status to unexplode components via the menu picks:-

ExplodeState/Redefine/Default/Done/Expld Status/Toggle Expld
Indeed.

I am resetting components to their unexploded position via the menu picks:-

ExplodeState/Redefine/Default/Done/Position/Reset/Preference s/Move with Children
ok.

so it appears that we're doing the same thing, only you pick the componens in the window, and I pick them in the list to get them into their default positions. Same end result, different methods.

The default explode state appears to be an almost random explosion of components.

YES!!!

That's what's bugging me. from what you're saying, it's something I have to live with.

Yes it probably would be nicer if the default was initially unexploded but noobs might not realise they were still in that state and fail to Unexplode It before carrying on working only to get strange results later on.

Only the first time. :)

So, to finish up here: yes, the default is some wacky, haphazard expode positions. And you can't change that. So just be sure to reset before doing a real explode view.

--john

A few years ago the base package for Pro/E (prior to Foundation) did not include Pro/Process for Assemblies. If you didn't have this module, you couldn't define Explode States, hence you could ONLY modify exploded positions in drawing/report mode. You can still do it under the View/Mod Expl menu but I wouldn't recommend it.
The phrase "ick" comes to mind....

By your reply "Indeed" to the Expld status says to me you are doing it by this method

This does NOT produce the same end result as my method.

A component toggled to it's unexploded position as you appear to be doing CANNOT be moved until it has been untoggled and you may have to toggle quite a lot of components to fully unexplode a larger assembly

By my method the components can be moved after unexploding and using the "Move with Children" preference you only have to select a few parent components to fully "Reset" an assembly of several hundred components.

DB

Dell_Boy said:
A component toggled to it's unexploded position as you appear to be doing CANNOT be moved until it has been untoggled and you may have to toggle quite a lot of components to fully unexplode a larger assembly

By my method the components can be moved after unexploding and using the "Move with Children" preference you only have to select a few parent components to fully "Reset" an assembly of several hundred components.

'k. Makes sense. Haven't had to deal with a large assy yet. Maybe 20 components max so far.

i'll give it a shot your way.

thx,
john

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back